Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax or investment advice. Please speak to your own tax expert, CPA or tax attorney on how you should treat taxation of digital currencies.
To get started reporting your lost and stolen coins from events such as exchange hacks, stolen wallets, or ICO scams, navigate to Step #3 and click on the Lost & Stolen Coins tab.
On this page, you can click on the Add Entry button to add in your lost coins directly in the table. For each entry, you need to fill out all of the following fields:
- Coin - The ticker symbol of the coin lost
- Amount of Coin - Amount that was lost
- Type - How this coin was lost
- Timestamp (UTC format) - The date that the coin was lost
Choose the Type which reflects your lost/stolen scenario. These types will receive the following (classification):
- Lost Wallet Access (Casualty)
- Sent To Wrong Address (Casualty)
- Exchange Account Hacked (Theft)
- Stolen Coins (Theft)
- Exchange Shutdown (Investment Loss)
- ICO Scam (Investment Loss)