Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax or investment advice. Please speak to your own tax expert, CPA or tax attorney on how you should treat taxation of digital currencies.
To get started reporting your lost and stolen coins from events such as exchange hacks, stolen wallets, or ICO scams, navigate to Step 2 and click on the Theft & Casualties tab.
On this page, you can click on the Add Transaction button to add in your lost coins directly in the table. For each entry, you need to fill out all of the following fields:
- Coin - The ticker symbol of the coin lost
- Amount of Coin - Amount that was lost
- Type of Loss - Theft, Casualty, or Investment Loss (See more in this post)
- Description - Description of the lost coins (Will NOT impact the calculation)
- Timestamp (UTC format) - The date that the coin was lost
For a full explanation of which type you should enter, please see our blog post on reporting crypto theft and casualties.